Tuesday 14 February 2012

Placa Riel

Placa Riel is in the middle of Barri Gotic, a lovely plaza with a Neo-Classical style of architecture.  Liceu Opera Barcelona is on La Rambla.  I completed my walk up La Rambla, headed westbound along Carrer de Pelai and then saw the Universitat de Barcelona on Avinguda Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes.





From there, I then managed to find the lavanderia to pick up my clean clothes.  I also stopped at a drug store and said, "Buscando la pasta de dientes" ("I am looking for toothpaste") and I was understood.  I am trying to push myself out into little side streets to practise Spanish with the locals, as so many Spaniards speak English very well in the touristy areas.

The people I have met have been great to me -- responding to me in English when needed, but also giving me a chance to speak in Spanish to them with their responses in Spanish ... and cautioning me about pickpockets.  I am good at having a clear idea of where I am going when I set out somewhere, if I have to get out a map I do so discreetly, and I keep my valuables zipped up in my pockets, not in my purse.  Thankfully, no one has hassled me.  I look like I know where I am going!

No comments:

Post a Comment