Saturday 18 February 2012

The Last Breakfast

With joy and sadness today, I had my last cafe con leche and chocolate croissant on Carrer de Ferran.  The weather today was just lovely - warm, blue sky and plenty of sunshine.


I was making my way toward Museu Picasso.  Carrer de Ferran extends from the Liceu on La Rambla to Plaça Sant Jaume.  I have walked along this street many times over the past nine days.  It's a walking street only, full of shops and cafes.


Back in the Roman period, La Placa Sant Jaume was (continues to be) where important government buildings were located.   La Placa Sant Jaume (the Square of St. James -- the patron saint of Spain) was where the proclamation of the Catalan State took place on 1931 and was also the place for the return of Josep Tarradelles from exile in France (exiled from 1939 to 1977), following the death of Francisco Franco (1892 to 1975), the totalitarian head of Spain from 1936 to his death.


This is the Palau de la Generalitat or the Palace of the Generalitat (the government of the Autonomous Community of Catalunya) in La Placa Sant Jaume.  Several more photographs are coming up soon.


This is Hotel Gotico on Carrer de Jaume I.  Next time I come to Barcelona, I plan to step up the kind of hotel at which I stay.  This one is perfectly located in Barri Gotic.


A building on Carrer de la Princesa.


This is Carrer de Montcada in Barri Gotic (the Gothic Quarter) where the Museu Picasso is located.


No comments:

Post a Comment