Saturday 18 February 2012

Inside the Cathedral

The Barcelona Cathedral, Gothic in style, is apparently considered compact!  I guess I don't get around Europe enough.  (I guess I am going to do something about that!)

Or, maybe due to my backpacking in Spain along El Camino de Santiago (2001, 2002 and 2003), I am so accustomed to viewing small Spanish churches (apart from the Cathedrals in cities such as Burgos, Leon and Santiago de Compostela) that I have not seen very many huge cathedrals.

The Barcelona Cathedral has a Romanesque chapel called Capella de Santa Llucia.  It was started under Jaime (Jaume) II in 1298 on a site going back to the Visigothic times.  The main facade was finished in the late 19th century.



O St. Eulalia -- this chiquita is everywhere!  And no wonder -- she is a co-patron saint of Barcelona.  In the crypt, under the main altar is the alabaster sarcophagus (1339) of St. Eulalia.  She was martyred by the Romans for her beliefs in the fourth century A.D.  She lived from about 290-12 February 303, only age 13 when she was tortured to death in thirteen different ways.





No comments:

Post a Comment