Saturday 18 February 2012

Around the area of the Catedral de Barcelona

Around the area of the Barcelona Cathedral is fascinating.  So many short, narrow streets, and so many ancient and gorgeous buildings.


This is Museu d'Historia de la Ciutat.  I did not go in, but I have since learned that it has the most extensive subterranean Roman ruins in the world.


I am approaching the Barcelona Cathedral.



This is the entrance to Museu Frederic Mares, opened in 1948.  Mares was a sculptor of the same era as Picasso (1893 to 1991).  The building is part of the Royal Palace complex and houses Romanesque and Gothic religious art.




And this is the amazing Esglesia Catedral de la Santa Creu i Santa Eulalia (Catalan for Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia) and its entrance.  I stepped inside the Cathedral and I lost my breath for a moment.  It is spectacular!




No comments:

Post a Comment