Saturday 18 February 2012

Museu Picasso (The Picasso Museum)

Pablo Picasso lived from 1881 to 1973.  He was born in Malaga and the family later moved to Barcelona in 1895.

Museu Picasso is one of Barcelona's most popular attractions and full of information and background about the artist's early years of learning.  Since I bought a Barcelona Museum Pass online while I was still in Toronto, I was able to skip the line-up!



Museu Picasso opened in 1963 and showed the works of Picasso's friend, Jaime (or Jaume) Sabartes. After Sabartes died in 1968, Picasso donated paintings, including early examples.

I loved Picasso's early works, such as The First Communion (1896 - age 15) and Science and Charity (1897 - age 16).  I also appreciate his Blue and Rose Periods.  His later works are very fascinating -- and certainly the most famous -- but my personal taste tends toward his earlier works.


I could not take any photographs inside the gallery.  However, I took a number of photographs of the buildings -- five adjoining medieval palaces -- Berenguer d'Aguliar, Baro de Castellet, Meca, Mauri and Fenestres.








No comments:

Post a Comment