Wednesday 15 February 2012

La Pedrera (the Stone Quarry) or Casa Mila

La Pedrera (the Stone Quarry) or Casa Mila was designed by Antoni Gaudi and is one of the seven museums I can attend with my Barcelona Museum Pass.

It was designed by Gaudi for the Mila family, who apparently lived on the first floor but they never felt comfortable there.  When I first saw it earlier this week, I thought, "It looks like it could be a hotel on The Flintstones!"  (Oh, Paula, how terribly unsophisticated of you!) Then I learned that it was ridiculed and nicknamed La Pedrera ("The Stone Quarry") in the early 20th century by the elite of Barcelona.  :)  Fred and Wilma were not too far from my first glance!

See photo 5 (which does not do justice to La Pedrera.  It is really very funky.)

The sculptured ducts and chimneys on the roof below have a threatening appearance -- called "espanta-bruixes" or "witch scarers."  It was such a beautiful, warm day today with a bright blue sky, that they did not appear threatening to me at all.



Note the much more traditional interior and furniture in contrast with the exterior of the building.  Le Pedrera is said to be Antoni Gaudi's greatest contribution to Barcelona's civic architecture, built between 1906 to 1910.  After that, he devoted himself to the design and building of La Sagrada Familia.




I've added two photos from beautiful buildings north of Le Pedrera -- one of the east side of Passeig de Gracia and the other on the west side.  The architecture along Passeig de Gracia is so beautiful!  I have only been here for a few days, but it seems to me to be the best of the city.



No comments:

Post a Comment